Joseph Allen, PhD
Director of OEH Academic Programs
- Primary application through SOPHAS
- Official transcripts
- GRE scores (if available)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose (not to exceed 500 words)
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- English proficiency for international applicants (TOEFL/IELTS)
- Second online application through ApplyYourself
- Unofficial transcripts
- English proficiency for international students (TOEFL/IELTS)
- Writing samples may be requested
- Online application - Applicants must submit an application through the SOPHAS system and the University of Utah’s ApplyYourself system. Applicants will receive information on applying at the University of Utah during the SOPHAS application process.
- English Proficiency Requirement - All International students must meet the standard English proficiency requirement per the University Office of Admissions.
**Upon application approval, an interview will be extended by the RMCOEH Faculty Admissions Committee**
Students considered for acceptance into the PhD in OEH program will typically have completed master’s training in occupational and environmental health, public health, or another relevant master’s degree (MSOH, MS, or MSPH). Prospective student’s projected dissertation topic and suitability will be evaluated during the application process. Occasional, exceptional undergraduate students may matriculate with extensive, sciences and math-based baccalaureate backgrounds and outstanding graduate record examinations (GRE) scores.
Applicants without a master’s degree in a related field of study should have the following:
- Baccalaureate degree (BA/BS) with prior coursework in chemistry, organic chemistry, physical sciences, biological sciences, and mathematics (at least through college algebra, preferably through calculus)
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0
- GRE scores (quantitative, verbal, and written) within the past five years
- Exceptions will be made for those with a prior US doctoral degree
The MSOH programs only accept Fall cohorts with the following application and admissions deadlines:
Application Deadline: February 15
Admissions Deadline: April 1
An additional $30 late fee will be applied by the admissions office if your application is not completed by these deadlines.
Please see the University of Utah Admissions site for additional information regarding application documents, deadlines, and fees.