Dr. Lee’s research covers a broad range of topics relevant to healthy aging and chronic disease prevention and management, with particular interests in the role of lifestyle factors (e.g., physical activity) in promoting population health. During her doctoral and postdoctoral training, she played a pivotal role in implementation and evaluation of various evidence-based programs, such as A Matter of Balance (i.e., community-based fall prevention program), Fit & Strong! (i.e., physical activity program), Texercise-Select (i.e., lifestyle program), and Stanford University’s chronic disease self-management programs (e.g., Chronic Disease Self-Management Program and Diabetes Self-Management Program). Her long-term goal is to expand the understanding of behavior change among middle-aged and older adults, role of aging in society, and how interventions can be widely scaled and sustained to enhance healthy aging at the population level.
Texas A&M University
- Towne SD, Smith ML, Li Y, Dowdy D, Ahn S, Lee S, Yoshikawa A, Jiang L (2020). A Multi-Level Analyses of Charges and Cost of Fall-Related Hospitalizations Among Older Adults: Individual, Hospital, and Geospatial Variation. J Aging Soc Policy, 34(4), 515-536.
- Lee S, Ory MG, Vollmer Dahlke D, Smith ML (2022). Social support, sense of belonging, and communication technology use among paid and unpaid caregivers of middle-aged and older adults. Front Public Health, 10.
- Smith ML, Zhong L, Lee S, Towne SD Jr, Ory MG (2021). Effectiveness and economic impact of a diabetes education program among adults with type 2 diabetes in South Texas. BMC Public Health, 21(1), 1646.
- Lee S, Washburn DJ, Colwell B, Gwarzo IH, Kellstedt D, Ahenda P, Maddock JE (2021). Examining social determinants of undiagnosed diabetes in Namibia and South Africa using a behavioral model of health services use. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 175, 108814.
- Kellstedt DK, Washburn DJ, Lee S, Gwarzo I, Ahenda P, Maddock JE (2020). Household motor vehicle ownership and obesity among Indian females and males: 2005-2016. Int Health, 13(2), 143-150.
- Vollmer Dahlke D, Lee S, Smith ML, Shubert T, Popovich S, Ory MG (2021). Attitudes Toward Technology and Use of Fall Alert Wearables in Caregiving: Survey Study. JMIR Aging, 4(1), e23381.
- Yoshikawa A, Smith ML, Lee S, Towne SD, Ory MG (2020). The role of improved social support for healthy eating in a lifestyle intervention: Texercise Select. Public Health Nutr, 24(1), 146-156.
- Yoshikawa A, Ramirez G, Smith ML, Lee S, Ory MG (2020). Systematic review and meta-analysis of fear of falling and fall-related efficacy in a widely disseminated community-based fall prevention program. Arch Gerontol Geriatr, 91, 104235.
- Du Y, Wang W, Washburn DJ, Lee S, Towne SD Jr, Zhang H, Maddock JE (2020). Violence against healthcare workers and other serious responses to medical disputes in China: surveys of patients at 12 public hospitals. BMC Health Serv Res, 20(1), 253.
- Smith ML, Lee S, Towne SD Jr, Han G, Quinn C, Pea-Purcell NC, Ory MG (2019). Impact of a Behavioral Intervention on Diet, Eating Patterns, Self-Efficacy, and Social Support. J Nutr Educ Behav, 52(2), 180-186.
- Lee S, Smith ML, Dahlke DV, Pardo N, Ory MG (2019). A Cross-Sectional Examination of Patients' Perspectives About Their Pain, Pain Management, and Satisfaction with Pain Treatment. Pain Med, 21(2), e164-e171.
- Lee S, Smith ML, Kromann L, Ory MG (2019). Medical Students and Childhood Obesity: Health Disparity and Implication for Education. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 16(14).
- Lee S, Jiang L, Dowdy D, Hong YA, Ory MG (2018). Effects of the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program on medication adherence among older adults. Transl Behav Med, 9(2), 380-388.
- Lee S, Jiang L, Dowdy D, Hong YA, Ory MG (2018). Attitudes, Beliefs, and Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence Among Adults Aged 65 or Older With Chronic Diseases. Prev Chronic Dis, 15, E148.
- Lee S, Wang W, Washburn DJ, Shi H, Yu Y, Du Y, Zhang H, Maddock JE (2018). Effect of the treatment-before-deposit policy on trust in physicians and perceived service quality among patients in 12 hospitals in China. Int J Health Plann Manage, 33(4), 1110-1120.
- Lee S, Smith ML, Towne SD Jr, Ory MG (2018). Effects of Sequential Participation in Evidence-Based Health and Wellness Programs Among Older Adults. Innov Aging, 2(2), igy016.
- Towne SD Jr, Li Y, Lee S, Smith ML, Han G, Quinn C, Du Y, Benden M, Ory MG (2018). Physical activity and associated medical cost savings among at-risk older adults participating a community-based health & wellness program. PLoS One, 13(6), e0198239.
- Ory MG, Lee S, Han G, Towne SD, Quinn C, Neher T, Stevens A, Smith ML (2018). Effectiveness of a Lifestyle Intervention on Social Support, Self-Efficacy, and Physical Activity among Older Adults: Evaluation of Texercise Select. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 15(2).
- Towne SD Jr, Lee S, Li Y, Smith ML (2015). Assessment of eHealth capabilities and utilization in residential care settings. Health Informatics J, 22(4), 1063-1075.
- Ory MG, Lee S, Zollinger A, Bhurtyal K, Jiang L, Smith ML (2015). Translation of fit & strong! For middle-aged and older adults: examining implementation and effectiveness of a lay-led model in central Texas. Front Public Health, 2, 187.
- Lee S, Smith ML (2021). Rural aging: Chronic diseases. In Kaye LW (Ed.), Handbook of Rural Aging. New York: Routledge, Taylor and Francis.
- Smith ML, Lee S, Towne SD Jr, Pickett AC, Horel SA, Kulinski KP (2021). Rural aging: Evidence-based programs. In Kaye LW (Ed.), Handbook of Rural Aging. New York: Routledge, Taylor and Francis.